So....
I don't know if you know what pepper jelly. Basically it's jelly made with vinegars, habaneros and bell peppers and vinegar. Sounds appetizing right? Well, it's actually really yummy with cheese and crackers. So, once or twice a year I make a big batch and can it. We take it to people's houses, make it for Christmas gifts, people seem to like it. I've made it three or four times before, without any problems. The first few times I got the peppers from the grocery store. This time I got them at the Farmer's Market.
There's a warning int he recipe: "fumes may burn nose and mouth, don't touch with bare skin, wear gloves". So the first time I wore gloves for part of the time but dodn't have any problems. The next times Ididn't wear gloves and have any problems. This time I didn't wear gloves and I have SERIOUS PROBLEMS.
Come to find out, they derive pepper spray from Habaneros. Yes, PEPPER SPRAY. And I think these were some unusually potent peppers. Other than filling the whole house with noxious fumes and having a huge spill, I have had burning hands since last night. Not kind of burning, deep burning. So bad that I dreamed my hands were burning all night... oh, they really were! What a mess! I scrubbed and scrubbed with soap water and a scrub brush only to find the burning got worse. I then turned tot he internet for some advice. I tried soaking them in yogurt for an hour (the casein is supposed to break up the oilthat causes the burning). I can't say it helped but it made me feel like I was doing something. I am avoiding touching any part of my body in fear that the fire will spread. Scott took out my contacts last night.
So, lesson learned. Avoid hot peppers. If you're going to touch the nasty little buggers, WEAR GLOVES!!! And probably a mask for the fumes. I'm not kidding!
I'm not sure the jelly will even be edible, I think it will be too hot to touch!
Friday, October 3, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I did salsa last night, our third batch of the season. We grew our own habaneros, anaheim, jalapeno and chili peppers this year... yeah. I couldn't find the gloves so I put all the peppers in the food processor and gave them a good chop. The fumes came on so strong and so fast, I thought I was in trouble. I am so glad that Tim and Ellia were not in the house. So sorry to hear about your hands. I have heard that pepper burns can be really nasty. I hope they feel better soon!!
Fun! We are probably making salsa tonight for the BYU game (the only one of the season broadcast on TV here). Mike had a similar experience last year. They were `only` jalapenos though. He rubbed his eyes. He thought he was going to go blind. The only thing he could find to relieve the pain was putting gobs of lotion in his eyes. It was so gross! Get well soon.
I made salsa with some habanero peppers we grew in our garden. The pepper oil got under my fingernail and I felt it for three days. I used hand sanitizer and it seemed to help a little bit.
oh my gosh, michelle!!! that is so horrible... i wish i knew of some sort of miraculous remedy, but i don't. i hope you are feeling better today. love, megan
Post a Comment